ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norgestimate 0.18mg, ethinyl estradiol 25micrograms (7 tabs); norgestimate 0.215mg, ethinyl estradiol 25micrograms (7 tabs); norgestimate 0.25mg, ethinyl estradiol 25micrograms (7 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or PE, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Gallbladder disease. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Hereditary angioedema. History of depression; monitor and discontinue if serious depression recurs. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Do regular complete physical exams. Monitor BP; discontinue if significant rise occurs. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Postmenopausal women or nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. May be antagonized by phenytoin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, bosentan, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, rifampicin, topiramate, rifabutin, rufinamide, aprepitant, St. John’s wort; use backup contraception. May be potentiated by atorvastatin, rosuvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, or CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole, grapefruit juice). May be affected by HIV protease inhibitors. Concomitant colesevelam; give 4hrs apart. May antagonize acetaminophen, temazepam, salicylic acid, morphine, clofibric acid, lamotrigine. May potentiate cyclosporine, prednisolone, theophylline, tizanidine, voriconazole. May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones. May affect lab tests (eg, coagulation factors, triglycerides, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins, hormone binding globulins, serum folate).
Progestin + estrogen.
Headache/migraine, nausea, vomiting, breast issues, abdominal pain/distension, menstrual disorders, mood disorders, acne, vulvovaginal infection, weight increased, fatigue; hypertension, chloasma, serious thromboembolic events, liver disease.
Packs—6 (blister cards)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder