Generic Name and Formulations:
Oritavancin 400mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ORBACTIV:
Acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI) caused by the following susceptible Gram (+) microorganisms: Staphylococcus aureus (including MRSA and MSSA), Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus agalactiae, Streptococcus dysgalactiae, Streptococcus anginosus Group (including Streptococcus anginosus, Streptococcus intermedius, Streptococcus constellatus) and Enterococcus faecalis (vancomycin-susceptible isolates only).
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs: 1200mg as a single dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Use of IV unfractionated heparin sodium for 120hrs (5 days) after oritavancin administration.
History of glycopeptide allergy. Discontinue immediately if acute hypersensitivity reaction occurs. Consider slowing or interrupting infusion if infusion-related reactions occur. Risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea; evaluate and may need to discontinue if occurs. Monitor for signs/symptoms of osteomyelitis; use alternative therapy if suspected or diagnosed. Severe hepatic or renal impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant warfarin; may prolong aPTT for up to 120hrs, PT/INR for up to 12hrs, and ACT for up to 24hrs; monitor for bleeding. Avoid concomitant drugs with a narrow therapeutic window that are metabolized by the affected CYP450 enzymes. May increase concentrations of CYP2C9/CYP2C19 substrates. May decrease concentrations of CYP3A4/CYP2D6 substrates. May interfere with coagulation tests; consider non-phospholipid dependent test (eg, Factor Xa assay) or alternative anticoagulant not requiring aPTT monitoring.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, limb and subcutaneous abscesses, diarrhea.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder