ORAPRED ODT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone (as sodium phosphate) 10mg, 15mg, 30mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for ORAPRED ODT:
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 5–60mg/day.
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses.
Systemic mycoses. Live vaccinations. Cerebral malaria.
Tuberculosis. Latent infection (esp. amebiasis). Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Cirrhosis. Ocular herpes simplex, optic neuritis: not recommended. Avoid exposure to chickenpox or measles; consider prophylactic passive immune therapy if exposure occurs. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. Hypertension. CHF. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Alternate, intermittent or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance, and intraocular pressure. Emotional instability. Psychotic tendencies. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Effects may be decreased by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin). May be potentiated by ketoconazole estrogens. Acute myopathy with neuromuscular blockers. Avoid aspirin. Cyclosporine: both drugs potentiated and seizures reported. Monitor warfarin, antidiabetic agents. Avoid anticholinesterases. Monitor if given with potassium-depleting agents, digoxin.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders