Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline 40mg (30mg immediate-release beads, 10mg delayed-release beads); caps.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ORACEA:
Treatment of inflammatory lesions (papules and pustules) of rosacea. Limitations of use: this formulation has not been evaluated in the treatment or prevention of infections. Efficacy >16 weeks and safety >9 months have not been established.
Take on empty stomach in the morning with sufficient amount of fluids. 40mg once daily.
Do not substitute with other doxycycline products. Renal impairment. Hepatic insufficiency. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function. Achlorhydria. GI surgery. Predisposition to candidiasis overgrowth. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if pseudomembranous colitis or superinfection occurs and treat appropriately. Monitor for autoimmune syndromes. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended. Not recommended for either gender if conception is planned.
Avoid concomitant methoxyflurane, penicillins, photosensitizers, oral retinoids. Reduced absorption with bismuth subsalicylate, acid pump inhibitors, antacids, calcium, magnesium, iron. May potentiate anticoagulants (eg, warfarin). May antagonize hormonal contraceptives (use back-up contraception). May be antagonized by metabolic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, carbamazepine, phenytoin).
Nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, superinfection, diarrhea, dry mouth, hypertension, blood glucose increase, elevated liver enzymes or BUN; pseudomembranous colitis, autoimmune syndromes (discontinue if occurs), hyperpigmentation, photosensitivity; benign intracranial hypertension, teeth discoloration, others (see full labeling).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy