Generic Name and Formulations:
Metipranolol HCl 0.3%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for OPTIPRANOLOL:
1 drop twice daily.
History of, or active, bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
Not for use as sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma. History of cardiac failure. Discontinue at first sign of cardiac failure. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Withdraw gradually before elective surgery. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Myasthenia gravis. History of anaphylaxis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine. Avoid concomitant calcium channel blockers in impaired cardiac function. Caution with adrenergic psychotropics.
Local discomfort. Rarely: conjunctivitis, eyelid dermatitis, blepharitis, blurred vision, tearing, browache, abnormal vision, photophobia, edema. Systemic absorption: bronchospasm, bradycardia, cardiac failure, depression, other β-blocker effects.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder