Generic Name and Formulations:
Metipranolol HCl 0.3%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for OPTIPRANOLOL:
1 drop twice daily.
History of, or active, bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
Not for use as sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma. History of cardiac failure. Discontinue at first sign of cardiac failure. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Withdraw gradually before elective surgery. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Myasthenia gravis. History of anaphylaxis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine. Avoid concomitant calcium channel blockers in impaired cardiac function. Caution with adrenergic psychotropics.
Local discomfort. Rarely: conjunctivitis, eyelid dermatitis, blepharitis, blurred vision, tearing, browache, abnormal vision, photophobia, edema. Systemic absorption: bronchospasm, bradycardia, cardiac failure, depression, other β-blocker effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders