Generic Name and Formulations:
Macitentan 10mg; tabs.
Indications for OPSUMIT:
Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH, WHO Group I) to delay disease progression and to reduce hospitalization for PAH.
10mg once daily. Doses >10mg once daily: not recommended.
Embryo-fetal toxicity: in females of reproductive potential, exclude pregnancy prior to initiation, monthly during, and for 1 month after treatment discontinuation; must use acceptable methods of contraception. Obtain LFTs prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Discontinue if clinically relevant ALT/AST elevations or if elevations accompanied by bilirubin >2xULN, or by symptoms of hepatotoxicity occur. Underlying left ventricular dysfunction: monitor for fluid retention; evaluate if develops. Severe anemia: not recommended. Measure Hgb prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Consider pulmonary veno-occlusive disease if signs of pulmonary edema occur; discontinue if confirmed. Potential decrease in sperm count; counsel men on fertility effects. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, ritonavir); avoid concomitant use. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); avoid concomitant use.
Endothelin receptor antagonist.
Anemia, nasopharyngitis/pharyngitis, bronchitis, headache, influenza, urinary tract infection; hepatotoxicity, decreased hemoglobin.
For all female patients: available only through the Opsumit REMS program. To enroll call (866) 228-3546 or www.OpsumitREMS.com.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders