Generic Name and Formulations:
Macitentan 10mg; tabs.
Indications for OPSUMIT:
Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH, WHO Group I) to delay disease progression and to reduce hospitalization for PAH.
10mg once daily. Doses >10mg once daily: not recommended.
Embryo-fetal toxicity: in females of reproductive potential, exclude pregnancy prior to initiation, monthly during, and for 1 month after treatment discontinuation; must use acceptable methods of contraception. Obtain LFTs prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Discontinue if clinically relevant ALT/AST elevations or if elevations accompanied by bilirubin >2xULN, or by symptoms of hepatotoxicity occur. Underlying left ventricular dysfunction: monitor for fluid retention; evaluate if develops. Severe anemia: not recommended. Measure Hgb prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Consider pulmonary veno-occlusive disease if signs of pulmonary edema occur; discontinue if confirmed. Potential decrease in sperm count; counsel men on fertility effects. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, ritonavir); avoid concomitant use. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); avoid concomitant use.
Endothelin receptor antagonist.
Anemia, nasopharyngitis/pharyngitis, bronchitis, headache, influenza, urinary tract infection; hepatotoxicity, decreased hemoglobin.
For all female patients: available only through the Opsumit REMS program. To enroll call (866) 228-3546 or www.OpsumitREMS.com.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records