Virtual reality may help combat the opioid crisis.
A poll found 58% in favor of prioritizing access to treatment; 26% in favor of more punishment.
Jeffrey Fudin, PharmD, discusses concerns he has regarding the CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
Anthony Mariano, PhD, offered advice to clinicians for tapering patients off opioids.
Polymorphism at the level of drug receptors, transporters, or other proteins involved in drug metabolism or action may dampen a drug's efficacy or increase its toxicity.
The increase in cases of neonatal abstinence syndrome corresponds with the reported rise in opioid use during pregnancy.
Researchers compared 2 treatment methods in 150 individuals seeking outpatient treatment for prescription opioid or heroin dependence.
Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
Barriers to HIV testing include distrust of medical settings, fear of HIV stigma, and substance use problems.
If we invest in evidence-based addiction treatment that is invested in the dignity of every person who needs that treatment, many more people will find themselves ready to seek it out.
A webinar on patient shame forms part of the Prescribers' Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies.
Self-harm has been the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in Colorado between 2004 and 2012.
We explore 3 initiatives that include guidelines and recommendations for CRNAs, physicians, and policymakers.
In children aged 10 to 14, poisonings from suicide or self-inflicted injury rose 37% and accidental poisoning increased 82%.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Policy makers have prioritized increasing buprenorphine access to fight the opioid epidemic, but lack adequate information about how to do so effectively.
More than 75% of individuals with a current opioid addiction diagnosis, as well as 28% of control participants, presented with an addiction risk score over 52. Researchers focused on single nucleotide polymorphisms associated with brain reward systems.
Regular evaluation and assessment along with a personalized "step approach" is essential for effective pain management.
While treatments for pain often target either the brain or the body, data show treatments often benefit both.
Psychosocial approaches have become critical in the face of the chronic pain epidemic.
These free online resources may be of interest to patients in rural settings who may not have access to pain psychologists.
A rise in overdose deaths is associated with overprescribing of opioid analgesic medications.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
In this cohort study, researchers measured rates of ongoing opioid use up to 1 year after major surgery in patients aged 65 or older.
In 2014, opioids were responsible for nearly 19 000 deaths across the United States.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress