Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Dr Twillman, Executive Director for the American Academy of Pain Management, emphasizes the fact that CDC guidelines on opioids are expert- and not evidence-based.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
A rise in overdose deaths is associated with overprescribing of opioid analgesic medications.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Researchers discovered novel opioid analgesics, displaying reduced respiratory depression.
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
Researchers at ARIA Diagnostics in Indianapolis, IN conducted urine screens to test for opiates/opiods, gabapentin, pregabalin, and other substances.
In this cohort study, researchers measured rates of ongoing opioid use up to 1 year after major surgery in patients aged 65 or older.
In 2014, opioids were responsible for nearly 19 000 deaths across the United States.
Naloxone is an opioid antagonist that reverses the respiratory depression characteristic of opioid overdose.
The Role of Psychiatrists as Naloxone Advocates
Nonmedical prescription opioid use among adults in the United States has increased by 161% from 2001-2002 to 2012-2013, while prescription opioid use disorder has increased by 125%.
Regulating opioid prescribing through prescription monitoring programs may improve treatment outcomes and patient safety.
FDA approves innovative sustained-release drug delivery implant to control opioid dependence for up to 6 months.
For practitioners who are interested in implementing an e-prescribing system, Dr Hurford suggests that they seek feedback from colleagues.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Depression High Among Medical Students
- Evidence Against Palliative Care in Long-term Eating Disorders
- Low-Dose Dexmedetomidine Reduces Postoperative Delirium in Older Patients
- Better Cognition for Older Adults Who Nap After Lunch
- Alzheimer's Disease is a Significant Risk Factor for Major Hip Fracture
- Cognitive Stress Reduces Levodopa Effect on Parkinson's Tremor
- Suicidal Ideation, Behavior Higher Among Those Seeking HIV Testing
- Alzheimer's Disease Accelerated by Mild Brain Injury
- First-Episode Schizophrenia Approaches Aided by Guidelines Instrument
- Hypertension Onset in Older Population May Protect Against Dementia