Many patients in a workers' compensation cohort have persistent opioid use.
Higher daily average inpatient pain scores and higher postoperative opioid consumption are associated with a subsequent persistent opioid use.
Number of deaths due to opioid-related overdose may be reduced with slow-release oral morphine.
Opioid therapy was shown to improve QoL in patients with concomitant fibromyalgia and PTSD.
Pharmacologic intervention in opioid addiction is pertinent to the prevention of relapse and over dose in adolescents.
Women have a higher opioid-related hospitalizations than men in the United States.
More than half of all drug overdose deaths may be caused by fentanyl.
Weaning from continuous opioid infusion can result in withdrawal and associated adverse effects.
Researchers conducted a retrospective cohort study of adult outpatients in a large healthcare system.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Dr Twillman, Executive Director for the American Academy of Pain Management, emphasizes the fact that CDC guidelines on opioids are expert- and not evidence-based.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
A rise in overdose deaths is associated with overprescribing of opioid analgesic medications.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Researchers discovered novel opioid analgesics, displaying reduced respiratory depression.
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
Researchers at ARIA Diagnostics in Indianapolis, IN conducted urine screens to test for opiates/opiods, gabapentin, pregabalin, and other substances.
In this cohort study, researchers measured rates of ongoing opioid use up to 1 year after major surgery in patients aged 65 or older.
In 2014, opioids were responsible for nearly 19 000 deaths across the United States.
Naloxone is an opioid antagonist that reverses the respiratory depression characteristic of opioid overdose.
The Role of Psychiatrists as Naloxone Advocates
Nonmedical prescription opioid use among adults in the United States has increased by 161% from 2001-2002 to 2012-2013, while prescription opioid use disorder has increased by 125%.
Regulating opioid prescribing through prescription monitoring programs may improve treatment outcomes and patient safety.
FDA approves innovative sustained-release drug delivery implant to control opioid dependence for up to 6 months.
For practitioners who are interested in implementing an e-prescribing system, Dr Hurford suggests that they seek feedback from colleagues.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health
- FDA Launches MyStudies Mobile App in Effort to Increase Access to Real World Patient Data
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression