Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Dr Twillman, Executive Director for the American Academy of Pain Management, emphasizes the fact that CDC guidelines on opioids are expert- and not evidence-based.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
A rise in overdose deaths is associated with overprescribing of opioid analgesic medications.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Researchers discovered novel opioid analgesics, displaying reduced respiratory depression.
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
Researchers at ARIA Diagnostics in Indianapolis, IN conducted urine screens to test for opiates/opiods, gabapentin, pregabalin, and other substances.
In this cohort study, researchers measured rates of ongoing opioid use up to 1 year after major surgery in patients aged 65 or older.
In 2014, opioids were responsible for nearly 19 000 deaths across the United States.
Naloxone is an opioid antagonist that reverses the respiratory depression characteristic of opioid overdose.
The Role of Psychiatrists as Naloxone Advocates
Nonmedical prescription opioid use among adults in the United States has increased by 161% from 2001-2002 to 2012-2013, while prescription opioid use disorder has increased by 125%.
Regulating opioid prescribing through prescription monitoring programs may improve treatment outcomes and patient safety.
FDA approves innovative sustained-release drug delivery implant to control opioid dependence for up to 6 months.
For practitioners who are interested in implementing an e-prescribing system, Dr Hurford suggests that they seek feedback from colleagues.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty
- Clinical Hypnosis May Be Effective for Cancer Pain, IBS, Headaches
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Continues to Be Vital Treatment for Depression in Elderly
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Psilocybin May Provide Swift Relief From Depression, Anxiety in Cancer Patients
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- Updated Depression Screening Recommendations for Adults
- ADHD Symptoms in Adulthood Vary Based on Work Environment
- SPECT Imaging Offers More Accurate Diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Medical Students at High Risk for Depression, Suicidal Ideation
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients Demonstrate Higher Risk of Suicide
- Psychoeducation No More Effective Than Peer Support at Reducing Time to Next Bipolar Episode
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis