Opioid Use Disorder
The number of opioid overdose deaths in the United States reached a new record last year with 72,000 deaths, which works out to about 200 a day.
The Stopping the Transmission of Opioids to the Next Generation tool allows clinicians treating women of childbearing age with opioid use disorder to estimate risks associated with pregnancies in this patient population.
Many patients in a workers' compensation cohort have persistent opioid use.
Higher daily average inpatient pain scores and higher postoperative opioid consumption are associated with a subsequent persistent opioid use.
Case study: new-onset amnesia occuring after cocaine and possible fentanyl use.
Aberrant drug-related behavior was found to be reduced in patients receiving the web-based program in addition to standard care compared with standard care alone.
Number of deaths due to opioid-related overdose may be reduced with slow-release oral morphine.
For patients with opioid use disorder, immediate access to opioid agonist treatment may provide cost-effective health benefits.
The FDA has announced the approval of Sublocade for the treatment of moderate to severe opioid use disorder.
The Clinton Foundation's Health Matters Initiative, in partnership with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, issued a report providing 49 recommendations under 10 topic areas on how to address the opioid crisis.
There is a higher risk of prescription opioid overdose death for people born between 1947 and 1964.
Extended-release naltrexone maintained abstinence from heroin and other illicit substances.
REBOOT reduced the rate of opioid overdose in participants with opioid use disorder
The opioid crisis needs to be addressed in order to reduce overdose deaths.
In Veterans Health Association patients, new-onset depression was more common among women than men using long-term opioids.
Extensive training on opioids is now required for US doctors.
Opioid addiction without receiving medical treatment among 25 years old and younger Americans has severely increased.
Following C-section, women were prescribed roughly twice as many pills as they used.
Patients who frequently relapse into overuse following withdrawal have a worse clinical and psychological profile than patients who relapse less frequently.
Post-surgery pain is a continuum with no clear delineation.
A prescription weight-loss drug reduced the urge to use opiates like oxycodone.
Interventions may need to educate practitioners about how to handle difficult conversations with patients about opioids.
The opioid crisis in Pennsylvania has led to voluntary guidelines emphasizing medication-assisted treatment.
Benzodiazepine safety has not been confirmed beyond short-term use.
Prescribing opioids for 3 days or less may lower chances of addiction, researchers say.
Few adolescents receive methadone or buprenorphine for opioid addiction.
Updated guidelines focus on safe and effective opioid prescribing practices.
Patients addicted to opioids treated in a hospital emergency department do better when they receive medication to reduce opioid cravings.
Dose escalation may be a proxy for loss of control or undetected abuse known to be associated with depression.
The most common condition linked to long-term opioid use was depression while suicide-attempts and self-injury were the least common conditions
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health
- FDA Launches MyStudies Mobile App in Effort to Increase Access to Real World Patient Data
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression