A poll found 58% in favor of prioritizing access to treatment; 26% in favor of more punishment.
Jeffrey Fudin, PharmD, discusses concerns he has regarding the CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
Anthony Mariano, PhD, offered advice to clinicians for tapering patients off opioids.
Polymorphism at the level of drug receptors, transporters, or other proteins involved in drug metabolism or action may dampen a drug's efficacy or increase its toxicity.
The increase in cases of neonatal abstinence syndrome corresponds with the reported rise in opioid use during pregnancy.
Researchers compared 2 treatment methods in 150 individuals seeking outpatient treatment for prescription opioid or heroin dependence.
Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
Barriers to HIV testing include distrust of medical settings, fear of HIV stigma, and substance use problems.
If we invest in evidence-based addiction treatment that is invested in the dignity of every person who needs that treatment, many more people will find themselves ready to seek it out.
A webinar on patient shame forms part of the Prescribers' Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Elevated Levels of Childhood Adversity in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Widespread Pain
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
- Long-term Response to Prophylactic Mood Stabilizers in Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Supervised Withdrawal, an Option for Pregnant Women Addicted to Opioids
- Navigating the Thin Line Between Identification & Intimacy With Patients