The US Surgeon General released an advisory urging increased availability of the opioid overdose-reversing drug naloxone earlier this year.
There is a marked excess of deaths among US adults who experience a nonfatal opioid overdose.
A novel, innovative initiative is being developed to help end addiction over the long term.
Oxycodone and morphine are more likely to contain messaging on package inserts describing safe storage and disposal methods compared with other commonly used and misused opioid analgesics.
Patterns associated with opioid overdose include overlapping prescriptions, use of more than one prescriber or pharmacy, and use of out-of-state prescribers or pharmacies.
Higher daily average inpatient pain scores and higher postoperative opioid consumption are associated with a subsequent persistent opioid use.
The US Drug Enforcement Administration's 2014 ruling to reschedule hydrocodone combination products coincided with an increase in illicit trading of opioids through online illicit markets.
Electrical pulses are sent through small needles that are inserted in the ear to combat the early stages of detoxification, leading to stabilization.
Nine online networks, operating 53 websites, have been warned that they must stop illegally marketing potentially dangerous versions of opioid medications.
Non-research industry payments to physicians may be associated with increases in opioid prescribing rates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Classification Models for Diagnosing Schizophrenia With MRI Neuroimaging
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Unhealthy Food Behaviors May Signal Eating Disorder in Teens
- As Immigration Policies Tighten, Physician Shortage Concerns Grow