In a rare bipartisan move, both the House and Senate have reached a compromise on legislation to address the opioid epidemic.
When alcohol and opioid addiction occur together, managing them concomitantly becomes challenging. Whereas some patients may not need medication for alcohol addiction, opioid abuse does require pharmacotherapy.
Pain conditions may largely be underrecognized contributors to the overdose epidemic.
Depression may partially mediate the association between post-traumatic stress disorder and opioid misuse.
From July 2016 to June 2017, bystanders were documented in 44% of opioid overdose deaths, but naloxone was rarely administered by a layperson.
Cassipa, a film designed to be placed under the tongue, has been approved to treat opioid dependence, the US FDA said in a news release.
Purdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin who some have blamed for the epidemic of opioid painkiller addictions, has patented a medicine aimed at curbing those disorders.
Accurate, transparent documentation is key in ensuring safe and appropriate opioid prescribing.
Risk Factors for Prescription Opioid Misuse Include Suicide Ideation, Past Substance Abuse Disorders
These data underscore the impact of comorbid health conditions on opioid misuse disorders and support the use of screening for co-occurring health conditions for patients who misuse prescription opioids.
Emergency department providers need evidence-based strategies to identify and manage patients with opioid use disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?