Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Indications for OMNARIS:
Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in patients ≥6yrs old and perennial allergic rhinitis in patients ≥12yrs old.
2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Seasonal allergic rhinitis: <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Avoid use in patients with recent nasal ulcers/surgery/trauma until healed. Potential worsening of active tuberculosis; fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections, or ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider immunoglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal suppression exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical steroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue slowly), and for candida infection and other nasal mucosal changes. Monitor for vision changes or with history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma and/or cataracts. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Avoid spraying eyes, or directly onto the nasal septum. Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 weeks (for seasonal allergic rhinitis) and 5 weeks (for perennial allergic rhinitis). Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by ketoconazole.
Headache, epistaxis, nasopharyngitis, ear pain, pharyngolaryngeal pain.
Nasal spray (pump)—12.5g (120 sprays)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV