Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Indications for OMNARIS:
Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in patients ≥6yrs old and perennial allergic rhinitis in patients ≥12yrs old.
2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Seasonal allergic rhinitis: <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Avoid use in patients with recent nasal ulcers/surgery/trauma until healed. Potential worsening of active tuberculosis; fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections, or ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider immunoglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal suppression exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical steroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue slowly), and for candida infection and other nasal mucosal changes. Monitor for vision changes or with history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma and/or cataracts. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Avoid spraying eyes, or directly onto the nasal septum. Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 weeks (for seasonal allergic rhinitis) and 5 weeks (for perennial allergic rhinitis). Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by ketoconazole.
Headache, epistaxis, nasopharyngitis, ear pain, pharyngolaryngeal pain.
Nasal spray (pump)—12.5g (120 sprays)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age