Generic Name and Formulations:
Clobetasol propionate 0.05%; foam.
Indications for OLUX:
Treatment of plaque psoriasis of the scalp (moderate to severe) and non-scalp regions (mild to moderate).
≥12yrs: apply thin layer to affected area(s) twice daily; max 50g/week or 21 capfuls/week and 2 consecutive weeks' treatment per course. Discontinue when control is achieved. Wash hands after application. Do not occlude.
<12yrs: not recommended.
Not for oral, ophthalmic, or intravaginal use. Avoid use on face, axillae, groin, or other intertriginous areas. Do not use for diaper dermatitis or on pre-existing skin atrophy. Risk of HPA axis suppression with high-potency steroids, prolonged use, application to large surface area, use of occlusive dressings, altered skin barrier, liver failure, young age; discontinue gradually, reduce dose, or substitute with less potent corticosteroid if occurs. Increased risk of posterior subcapsular cataracts and glaucoma; monitor for visual symptoms. Treat infection if present; discontinue if infection persists or worsens. Avoid abrupt cessation in chronic use. Reevaluate periodically. Product is flammable. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Burning, stinging, pruritus, erythema, skin atrophy, folliculitis, dermal cracking and fissuring, telangiectasia, striae; allergic contact dermatitis (discontinue if irritation occurs), HPA axis suppression (esp. in children); rare: Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers