Generic Name and Formulations:
Estrone sodium sulfate (as estropipate) 5mg; scored tabs.
Indications for OGEN:
Moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms of menopause. Atrophic vaginitis. Osteoporosis prevention. Hypoestrogenism.
Menopause: 0.625–5mg daily, given cyclically (3 weeks on, 1 week off). Osteoporosis prevention (begin therapy soon after menopause): 0.625mg daily, given cyclically (25 days of a 31-day cycle). Hypoestrogenism: 1.25–7.5mg daily for 3 weeks. Repeat course if withdrawal bleeding does not occur within 8–10 days after discontinuing. See literature. Reevaluate periodically.
Breast or estrogen-dependent carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Thromboembolic disorders. Thrombophlebitis. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Estrogens increase the risk of endometrial cancer. Cardiovascular and other risks.
Patients with an intact uterus should almost always receive a progestin to avoid endometrial hyperplasia. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Gallbladder disease. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Bone disease associated with hypercalcemia. Do initial complete physical and repeat annually (include BP, mammogram, and PAP smear). Discontinue if jaundice or hypertension occurs and at least 2 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Nursing mothers.
See full labeling. GI upset, breakthrough bleeding, edema, weight changes, mastodynia, hypertension, intolerance to contact lenses.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age