Generic Name and Formulations:
Estrone sodium sulfate (as estropipate) 5mg; scored tabs.
Indications for OGEN:
Moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms of menopause. Atrophic vaginitis. Osteoporosis prevention. Hypoestrogenism.
Menopause: 0.625–5mg daily, given cyclically (3 weeks on, 1 week off). Osteoporosis prevention (begin therapy soon after menopause): 0.625mg daily, given cyclically (25 days of a 31-day cycle). Hypoestrogenism: 1.25–7.5mg daily for 3 weeks. Repeat course if withdrawal bleeding does not occur within 8–10 days after discontinuing. See literature. Reevaluate periodically.
Breast or estrogen-dependent carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Thromboembolic disorders. Thrombophlebitis. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Patients with an intact uterus should almost always receive a progestin to avoid endometrial hyperplasia. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Gallbladder disease. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Bone disease associated with hypercalcemia. Do initial complete physical and repeat annually (include BP, mammogram, and PAP smear). Discontinue if jaundice or hypertension occurs and at least 2 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Nursing mothers.
See full labeling. GI upset, breakthrough bleeding, edema, weight changes, mastodynia, hypertension, intolerance to contact lenses.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders