Generic Name and Formulations:
Pooled plasma (human) 45–70mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; solvent/detergent treated; frozen; pyrogen-free.
Indications for OCTAPLAS:
Replacement of multiple coagulation factors with acquired deficiencies due to liver disease, undergoing cardiac surgery, or liver transplant. Plasma exchange in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP).
For IV infusion only after thawing. Administer based on ABO-blood group compatibility. Coagulation factors replacement: initially 10–15mL/kg to increase plasma coagulation factor levels approx. 15–25%; if hemostasis is not achieved, use higher doses. Adjust based on response; monitor aPTT, PT, and/or specific coagulation factors. TTP: usually 1–1.5 plasma volumes (40–60mL/kg) to completely replace plasma volume removed during plasmapheresis.
IgA deficiency. Severe Protein S deficiency. Prior hypersensitivity to fresh frozen plasma or plasma-derived products including plasma protein.
Risk of transfusion reactions with ABO blood group mismatches. Risk of hypervolemia with high infusion rates; monitor for signs/symptoms of pulmonary edema or cardiac failure. Hyperfibrinolysis may develop due to low levels of alpha2-antiplasmin; monitor for signs of excessive bleeding in liver transplantation. Monitor for thrombosis. Risk of citrate toxicity; use max infusion rate: 0.020–0.025mmol citrate/kg/min (eg, Octaplas <1mL/kg/min). Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease agent). Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid injecting calcium-containing drugs in same IV line.
Pooled plasma (human).
Pruritus, urticaria, nausea, headache, paresthesia; anaphylactic shock, citrate toxicity, severe hypotension.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV