The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire-9 may also potentially be used outside of intensive care settings, such as in longitudinal research.
Investigators compared set-shifting, decision making, and central coherence in patients with bipolar disorder, OCD, and comorbid bipolar disorder with OCD.
One of the requirements for diagnosing OCD is that the individuals don't want to engage in their behaviors. However, youth with autism who have verbal skills often say that they feel content with their repetitive behaviors and have no interest in stopping them.
Obsessive compulsive disorder was shown to be associated with reduced academic achievement.
Positive Family Interaction Therapy plus individual child cognitive-behavioral therapy reduces symptom severity in children with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Researchers examined whether the risk of relapse or time to relapse was related to type of anxiety disorder, duration of previous treatment, and other factors.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a common disabling psychiatric condition.
Indicators of schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety might be spotted in physical symptoms at age 18.
Analysis revealed that the brief OCD screener predicted OCD with an accuracy rate of higher than 90%.
Despite intense research efforts and recent advances in understanding the condition, the exact etiology of OCD remains largely undefined.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Several promising novel treatment options exist for those with OCD.
Investigators identified abnormal modularity patterns in the brain in individuals with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder.
The combination of behavioral and cognitive therapy approaches with medications is likely the most effective intervention for adults diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The behaviors associated with body dysmorphic disorder diminish quality of life and create tremendous interference.
Both ADHD and OCD were positively associated with addictive use of video games and of social media.
There is a greater risk of OCD in children born to older mothers but not older fathers.
Lower abundance and diversity of microbial populations have been identified in individuals with obsessive compulsive behavior.
Studied as augmentative agent to fluvoxamine in moderate-to-severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
The research represents the first general population study of assortative mating in psychiatric disorders.
Researchers found significant improvements in hair-pulling symptoms with both "decoupling" and progressive muscle relaxation.
By the end of the exposure and response prevention therapy treatment, more than half of the patients with OCD were considered excellent responders.
Effective approaches are available to help individuals suffering with this often misunderstood condition.
A form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, hoarding is characterized by a fear of making mistakes in what to keep or discard similar to "obsessions," while urges to save or acquire new items seem similar to "compulsions."
Patients with more efficient brain network connectivity had worse long-term outcomes after cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Exposure and response prevention is considered the first-line CBT therapy for those with OCD.
The studies argue that people who become infected with a parasite found in cat feces, Toxoplasma gondii, have a higher risk of developing schizophrenia.
Targeting dysfunctional beliefs patients hold about thoughts could help treat depression, anxiety, and OCD.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism