Generic Name and Formulations:
Etonogestrel 120mcg/day, ethinyl estradiol 15mcg/day; vaginal ring.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for NUVARING:
Insert 1 ring vaginally and leave in place for 3 weeks, then remove for 1 ring-free week; repeat; backup method (eg, condoms) recommended during first week. Switching from combination oral contraceptives: insert 1 ring any time within 7 days after last tab and no later than the day a new cycle of pills was to start (no back-up method needed). Switching from progestin-only contraceptives: see full labeling.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Smokers >35yrs. DVT/PE or history of. Cerebrovascular disease. Coronary artery disease. Thrombogenic valvular or rhythm diseases of the heart. Inherited or acquired hypercoagulopathies. Uncontrolled hypertension. Diabetes with vascular involvement. Headaches with focal neurological symptoms. Migraines with aura. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Breast or other estrogen- or progestin-sensitive neoplasms or history of. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, stroke, MI) esp. in smokers >35yrs. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, severe headaches, depression, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Gallbladder disease. Hypertriglyceridemia. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Hereditary angioedema. History of chloasma gravidarum; avoid sun or UV radiation exposure. Uncontrolled dyslipidemia; consider alternative therapy. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Predisposition to vaginal irritation or ulceration. May need barrier contraception with postpartum use (see full labeling). Monitor BP annually. Do regular complete physical exams. Postmenopausal women. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Nuvaring prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. Do not use with diaphragm or female condom (ring device may interfere with placement and position of female barrier methods). Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, phenytoin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, bosentan, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, rifampicin, topiramate, rifabutin, rufinamide, aprepitant, St. John's wort); use non-hormonal method or a backup contraception. May be potentiated by atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, vaginal miconazole, or strong/moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole, grapefruit juice). May be affected by HIV/HCV protease inhibitors or NNRTIs. May antagonize acetaminophen, temazepam, salicylic acid, morphine, clofibric acid, lamotrigine. May potentiate cyclosporine, prednisolone, theophylline, tizanidine, voriconazole. May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones. May affect lab tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins, hormone binding globulins).
Hormonal vaginal contraceptive (progestin + estrogen).
Vaginitis, headache, mood changes, nausea, vomiting, vaginal discomfort/discharge, weight gain, breast pain/discomfort/tenderness, dysmenorrhea, abdominal pain, acne, decreased libido, ring device related events (eg, expulsion/discomfort/foreign body sensation, inadvertent bladder insertion), increased BP; toxic shock syndrome, chloasma, amenorrhea, breakthrough bleeding.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder