Generic Name and Formulations:
Pimavanserin 17mg; tabs.
Indications for NUPLAZID:
Treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease (PD) psychosis.
34mg (taken as two 17mg tablets) once daily without titration. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors: 17mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: monitor and dose increase may be needed.
Elderly with dementia-related psychosis: increased risk of death. Not for treating patients with dementia-related psychosis unrelated to the hallucinations/delusions associated with PD psychosis. Avoid in patients with known or congenital QT prolongation, history of cardiac arrhythmias, symptomatic bradycardia, hypokalemia, or hypomagnesemia. Hepatic or severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, indinavir); reduce dose by ½. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John's wort); monitor for reduced efficacy. Avoid concomitant use with other drugs known to prolong QT interval including Class 1A (eg, quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide) or Class 3 antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, sotalol), certain antipsychotics (eg, ziprasidone, chlorpromazine, thioridazine), and certain antibiotics (eg, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin).
Peripheral edema, confusional state, nausea, hallucination, constipation, gait disturbance.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders