Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as sodium ferric gluconate complex in sucrose) 12.5mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion; contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for NULECIT:
Iron deficiency anemia in patients on chronic hemodialysis receiving epoetin therapy.
Give by IV infusion (diluted) or slow IV inj (undiluted). 125mg infused over 1 hour or by slow IV inj (at a rate of up to 12.5mg/min). Minimum cumulative dose: 1g given over 8 sequential dialysis sessions; usual max: 125mg/dose.
<6yrs: not recommended. Give by IV infusion (diluted) over 1 hour. ≥6yrs: 1.5mg/kg per dose at 8 sequential dialysis sessions; max: 125mg/dose.
Anemias not caused by iron deficiency. Iron overload.
Hemoglobinopathies. Refractory anemias. Avoid in neonates. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
May reduce absorption of concomitant oral iron preparations.
Hypotension, hypertension, GI upset, chest pain, back pain, abdominal pain, pruritus, inj site reaction, cramps, headache, dizziness, syncope, fatigue, fever, dyspnea, tachycardia; rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders