Generic Name and Formulations:
Romiplostim (recombinant) 250mcg, 500mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains sucrose and mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for NPLATE:
Treatment of thrombocytopenia in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had an insufficient response to corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, or splenectomy.
Give by SC inj. To reduce risk of bleeding: use lowest effective dose to achieve and maintain platelets ≥50x109/L. ≥18yrs: initially: 1mcg/kg weekly; may increase by 1mcg/kg if platelets <50x109/L; max: 10mcg/kg weekly. May reduce by 1mcg/kg if platelets >200x109/L for 2 consecutive weeks. Do not dose if platelets >400x109/L; resume Nplate at a dose reduced by 1mcg/kg when platelets fall to <200x109/L. Discontinue if platelets have not increased after 4 weeks at max dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for normalization of platelet counts or to treat thrombocytopenia due to MDS or any cause of thrombocytopenia other than chronic ITP. Risk of progression from MDS to acute myelogenous leukemia. Worsened thrombocytopenia and bleeding risk may develop after discontinuation. Monitor CBCs with platelets weekly during dose adjustments then monthly after achieving stable dose; and weekly for at least 2wks after discontinuation of therapy. Monitor after initial response for formation of neutralizing antibodies. Renal or hepatic impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase bleeding risk with anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents.
Thrombopoietin receptor agonist.
Arthralgia, dizziness, insomnia, myalgia, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, shoulder pain, dyspepsia, paresthesia, headaches; bone marrow reticulin formation, thrombotic/thromboembolic complications (eg, portal vein thrombosis in chronic liver disease).
To enroll pregnant patients in Amgen's Pregnancy Surveillance program, call (800) 772-6436.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder