Generic Name and Formulations:
Romiplostim (recombinant) 250mcg, 500mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains sucrose and mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for NPLATE:
Treatment of thrombocytopenia in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had an insufficient response to corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, or splenectomy.
Give by SC inj. To reduce risk of bleeding: use lowest effective dose to achieve and maintain platelets ≥50x109/L. ≥18yrs: initially: 1mcg/kg weekly; may increase by 1mcg/kg if platelets <50x109/L; max: 10mcg/kg weekly. May reduce by 1mcg/kg if platelets >200x109/L for 2 consecutive weeks. Do not dose if platelets >400x109/L; resume Nplate at a dose reduced by 1mcg/kg when platelets fall to <200x109/L. Discontinue if platelets have not increased after 4 weeks at max dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for normalization of platelet counts or to treat thrombocytopenia due to MDS or any cause of thrombocytopenia other than chronic ITP. Risk of progression from MDS to acute myelogenous leukemia. Worsened thrombocytopenia and bleeding risk may develop after discontinuation. Monitor CBCs with platelets weekly during dose adjustments then monthly after achieving stable dose; and weekly for at least 2wks after discontinuation of therapy. Monitor after initial response for formation of neutralizing antibodies. Renal or hepatic impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Thrombopoietin receptor agonist.
May increase bleeding risk with anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents.
Arthralgia, dizziness, insomnia, myalgia, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, shoulder pain, dyspepsia, paresthesia, headaches; bone marrow reticulin formation, thrombotic/thromboembolic complications (eg, portal vein thrombosis in chronic liver disease).
To enroll pregnant patients in Amgen's Pregnancy Surveillance program, call (800) 772-6436.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children