NOVOLOG MIX 70/30 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin aspart protamine suspension 70% (rDNA origin), insulin aspart 30% (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; SC inj; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Indications for NOVOLOG MIX 70/30:
For SC inj only. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 2.4hrs, duration up to 24hrs.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Do not reuse or share pens between patients; or needles and syringes when using vials. Instruct patients on proper administration of insulin, check insulin label before each injection, and management of hypoglycemia. Increased risk of hypo- or hyperglycemia if changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic function, insulin regimen and if acute illness occurs: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Monitor potassium levels in patients at risk for hypokalemia (eg, concomitant K+-lowering or K+-sensitive drugs). Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis due to insulin pump device malfunction: see full labeling. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, pentoxifylline, pramlintide, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by atypical antipsychotics, corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, glucagon, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, protease inhibitors. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Concomitant β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may blunt hypoglycemia. Do not mix with other insulins.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, rash, pruritus, edema, sodium retention, weight gain; hypersensitivity and allergic reactions.
Vials (10mL)—1; FlexPen (3mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age