NOVOLOG MIX 70/30 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin aspart protamine suspension 70% (rDNA origin), insulin aspart 30% (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; SC inj; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Indications for NOVOLOG MIX 70/30:
For SC inj only. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 2.4hrs, duration up to 24hrs.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Do not reuse or share pens between patients; or needles and syringes when using vials. Instruct patients on proper administration of insulin, check insulin label before each injection, and management of hypoglycemia. Increased risk of hypo- or hyperglycemia if changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic function, insulin regimen and if acute illness occurs: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Monitor potassium levels in patients at risk for hypokalemia (eg, concomitant K+-lowering or K+-sensitive drugs). Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis due to insulin pump device malfunction: see full labeling. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, pentoxifylline, pramlintide, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by atypical antipsychotics, corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, glucagon, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, protease inhibitors. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Concomitant β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may blunt hypoglycemia. Do not mix with other insulins.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, rash, pruritus, edema, sodium retention, weight gain; hypersensitivity and allergic reactions.
Vials (10mL)—1; FlexPen (3mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders