NOVOLOG MIX 70/30 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin aspart protamine suspension 70% (rDNA origin), insulin aspart 30% (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; SC inj; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Indications for NOVOLOG MIX 70/30:
For SC inj only. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 2.4hrs, duration up to 24hrs.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Do not reuse or share pens between patients; or needles and syringes when using vials. Instruct patients on proper administration of insulin, check insulin label before each injection, and management of hypoglycemia. Increased risk of hypo- or hyperglycemia if changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic function, insulin regimen and if acute illness occurs: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Monitor potassium levels in patients at risk for hypokalemia (eg, concomitant K+-lowering or K+-sensitive drugs). Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis due to insulin pump device malfunction: see full labeling. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, pentoxifylline, pramlintide, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by atypical antipsychotics, corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, glucagon, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, protease inhibitors. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Concomitant β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may blunt hypoglycemia. Do not mix with other insulins.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, rash, pruritus, edema, sodium retention, weight gain; hypersensitivity and allergic reactions.
Vials (10mL)—1; FlexPen (3mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy