NOVOLIN N OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin isophane suspension (NPH) (human, rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; inj.
Indications for NOVOLIN N:
Adults and Children:
SC injection only. Onset approx 1.5hrs, peak 4–12hrs, duration approx 24hrs.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share needles or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by salicylates, MAOIs, alcohol, sulfa drugs, some ACE inhibitors, drugs that inhibit pancreatic function (eg, octreotide), oral hypoglycemic agents, anabolic steroids, quinine, quinidine, alpha-adrenergic blocking agents. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, oral contraceptives, thyroid hormones, growth hormone, diazoxide, asparaginase, nicotinic acid. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders