Generic Name and Formulations:
Droxidopa 100mg, 200mg, 300mg+; capsules; (+) contains tartrazine.
Indications for NORTHERA:
Symptomatic neurogenic orthostatic hypotension (NOH) caused by primary autonomic failure (Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, and pure autonomic failure), dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiency, and non-diabetic autonomic neuropathy.
Swallow whole. Take with or without food. Initially 100mg three times daily in the morning, midday, and late afternoon (≥3hrs prior to bedtime). Titrate in increments of 100mg three times daily every 24–48hrs; max 600mg three times daily.
May cause or exacerbate supine hypertension. Monitor BP (supine and head-elevated sleeping positions) prior to initiating and after increasing the dose; reduce dose or discontinue if supine hypertension persists. Monitor for symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome; observe carefully during dose changes or when concomitant levodopa is reduced abruptly or discontinued, especially if receiving neuroleptics. May exacerbate ischemic heart disease, arrhythmias, CHF. Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Allergic reactions (tartrazine). Reevaluate periodically. Severe renal impairment (GFR <30mL/min): limited data. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, norepinephrine, ephedrine, midodrine, and triptans); increased risk of supine hypertension. Concomitant dopa-decarboxylase inhibitors: may need to adjust droxidopa dose. Avoid concomitant non-selective MAOIs or linezolid.
Headache, dizziness, nausea, hypertension, falls, UTI, syncope; hyperpyrexia, confusion.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder