Generic Name and Formulations:
Disopyramide (as phosphate) 100mg, 150mg; caps.
Indications for NORPACE:
Documented life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.
400–800mg daily in 4 divided doses every 6hrs. For rapid control of ventricular arrhythmias, consider loading dose of 300mg (200mg if body weight <110 lbs). Renal dysfunction, cardiac decompensation, or body wt <110 lbs: see full labeling.
Initiate in hospital. Give as divided doses every 6hrs: <1yr: 10–30mg/kg per day; 1–4yrs: 10–20mg/kg per day. 4–12yrs: 10–15mg/kg per day. 12–18yrs: 6–15mg/kg per day.
Cardiogenic shock. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block, unless paced. Congenital QT prolongation. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl ≤40mL/min): CR form not recommended.
Correct potassium imbalance before starting. Discontinue if hypotension or CHF worsening occurs; if needed, restart at lower dose after cardiac compensation established. Reduce dose in 1st-degree AV block, consider discontinuing if persistent. Monitor closely or discontinue if QT prolongation or QRS widening occurs. Atrial tachyarrhythmias: digitalize first. Conduction defects. Cardiomyopathy. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Urinary retention. BPH. Glaucoma. Myasthenia gravis. Chronic malnutrition. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C): may stimulate uterine contractions. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other antiarrhythmics except in unresponsive, life-threatening arrhythmias. Avoid CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin); may result in fatal interactions. Hypoglycemia with β-blockers, alcohol. Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, phenytoin). Do not give within 48hrs before or 24hrs after verapamil.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, blurred vision), GI upset, dizziness, fatigue, impotence, hypotension, heart failure, AV block, edema, rash, hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, lupus-like syndrome, psychosis.
Caps—100; CR—100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder