Generic Name and Formulations:
Norethindrone 0.35mg (28 tabs).
Indications for NOR-QD:
Continuous regimen: 1 tab daily.
Breast carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Liver tumors. Acute liver disease. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Cigarette smoking. Do physical exams at least annually. Discontinue if migraine or other serious headaches occur. Use back-up contraception for 48 hours if taken 3 hours or more late. Nursing mothers: if not exclusively breastfeeding may start 3 weeks after delivery; if fully breastfeeding may start 6 weeks after delivery.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme-inducing drugs (eg, phenobarbital, rifampin).
Menstrual irregularities, frequent or irregular bleeding, mastodynia, headache, nausea, dizziness; androgenic effects (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children