Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 0.3mg, 0.4mg, 0.6mg; sublingual tabs.
Indications for NITROSTAT:
Acute relief of angina attack. Acute prophylaxis of angina pectoris.
Treatment: 1 tab sublingually or in buccal pouch at onset, may repeat in 5 mins; max 3 tabs in 15 mins. Prophylaxis: 5–10 mins before activity.
Early MI. Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure. Concomitant PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), soluble guanylate cyclase stimulator (eg, riociguat).
Acute MI, CHF: monitor. Hypotensive or volume depleted. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Avoid abrupt cessation. Discontinue if blurred vision or dry mouth occurs. Use lowest effective dose. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypotension potentiated by PDE-5 inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, riociguat, alcohol, aspirin. May antagonize alteplase, heparin. Drugs that cause dry mouth (eg, tricyclics, anticholinergics) may interfere with sublingual dissolution. Avoid ergotamine and related drugs. Tolerance to other forms of nitrates may blunt effects. May interfere with cholesterol tests.
Headache, vertigo, weakness, palpitation, orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia, syncope, flushing, rash, exfoliative dermatitis.
Tabs 0.4mg—4 x 25, 100; 0.3mg, 0.6mg—100
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder