Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprazolam 0.25mg, 0.5mg. 1mg, 2mg; orally-disintegrating scored tabs; orange flavor.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for NIRAVAM:
Anxiety disorder. Short-term treatment of anxiety symptoms. Panic disorder (with or without agoraphobia).
≥18yrs: Anxiety: Initially 0.25–0.5mg three times daily. May increase at 3–4 day intervals to 4mg/day in divided doses. Panic: Initially 0.5mg three times daily; may increase at intervals of 3–4 days in increments of up to 1mg/day; usual max 10mg/day. Advanced liver disease, elderly, or debilitated: initially 0.25mg 2–3 times daily. For all: individualize; reevaluate periodically; withdraw gradually.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Acute narrow-angle glaucoma. Concomitant itraconazole, ketoconazole.
Not for use in untreated open-angle glaucoma. Discard unused portions of scored tabs (drug stability not ensured). Suicidal ideation. Avoid abrupt cessation. Psychosis. Mania. Renal, hepatic, cardiovascular, pulmonary dysfunction (monitor). Obesity. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications; other azole antifungals: not recommended. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, psychotropics, anticonvulsants, antihistamines, other CNS depressants. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors: reduce alprazolam dose; caution with cimetidine, nefazodone, fluvoxamine; caution with weaker CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, propoxyphene, oral contraceptives, ergots, cyclosporine, amiodarone, paroxetine, nicardipine, nifedipine). Antagonized by CYP3A inducers (eg, carbamazepine). May increase levels of imipramine, desipramine. Absorption may be affected by drugs or conditions that affect salivation or gastric pH.
CNS depression, fatigue, impaired coordination, memory impairment, dysarthria, changes in libido or appetite, constipation, paradoxical excitation, withdrawal reactions/seizures.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder