Nimodipine Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nimodipine 30mg; soft-gel caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nimodipine Capsules:
To improve neurological outcome of subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured intracranial berry aneurysms, regardless of post-ictus neurological condition.
Take on empty stomach. 60mg every 4 hours for 21 consecutive days. Start within 96 hours of subarachnoid hemorrhage. If oral therapy is not feasible, may extract capsule contents into a syringe and give via in situ NG tube, then flush tube with normal saline. Hepatic impairment: 30mg every 4 hours; monitor.
Not for IV or other parenteral administration (may be fatal). Hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, heart rate. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate other calcium channel blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB).
Decreased blood pressure, GI upset, headache, bradycardia, flushing, edema, rash; rare: intestinal pseudo-obstruction and ileus.
Formerly known under the brand name Nimotop.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder