NICOTROL INHALER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine inhalation system 10mg (4mg delivered); per cartridge; contains menthol.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare
Indications for NICOTROL INHALER:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Each cartridge lasts about 20 minutes with frequent continuous puffing and provides nicotine equivalent to about 2 cigarettes. Individualize. Use at least 6 cartridges/day for 1st 3–6 weeks; max 16 cartridges/day for 1st 12 weeks, then reduce gradually over 12 more weeks.
Concurrent smoking or other nicotine products.
Avoid immediately post-MI, in arrhythmias, or severe or worsening angina pectoris. Hypertension. Vasospastic or coronary heart disease. Hepatic or severe renal impairment. Hyperthyroidism. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Peptic ulcer disease. Elderly. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets. Nasal Spray not recommended in chronic nasal disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.D), labor & delivery: not recommended (attempt nondrug treatment first). Nursing mothers.
Nasal Spray antagonized by nasal vasoconstrictors. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Inhaler 42 cartridges—1 (w. inhaler and case); Nasal Spray 10mL (200 sprays)—1 (w. metered spray pump)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management