Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine polacrilex 2mg, 4mg; chewing gum; sugar-free; contains sodium, calcium; mint, fresh mint, white ice mint, cinnamon surge, fruit chill, or original flavor.
Indications for NICORETTE:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Start on quit day. Use 2mg if patient smoked first cigarette >30 mins after waking up; use 4mg if patient smoked first cigarette within 30 mins of waking up. Chew gum slowly until it tingles; park between cheek and gum; repeat until most of the tingle is gone (about 30 mins). ≥18yrs: Use 1 piece every 1–2hrs for 6 weeks (at least 9 pieces/day), then every 2–4hrs for 3 weeks, then every 4–8hrs for 3 weeks, then stop; max 24 pieces/day. If strong or frequent cravings, may use 2nd piece within the hour; avoid continuous use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiovascular disease, recent heart attack, irregular heart beat. Uncontrolled hypertension. Peptic ulcer disease. Diabetes. History of seizures. Sodium-restricted diet. Discontinue and evaluate if irregular heart beat, palpitations, mouth/teeth/jaw problems, persistent indigestion, severe sore throat, nicotine overdose symptoms, or allergic reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Do not eat or drink for 15 mins before and during use. Concomitant other non-nicotine smoking cessation drug. Concomitant antidepressants or anti-asthmatic drugs; may need to adjust dose.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hiccups, heartburn, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension, mouth problems.
Gum—20, 100, 110, 200; Lozenge—(mint, cherry)—72; (original)—108; Mini lozenge—20, 81, 108, 135
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder