An increase in the market prices of cigarettes would provide more health and financial gains to the poorest 20% of the population.
About 80% of physicians seldom or never communicated with skilled home healthcare clinicians about information on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services form 485 (CMS-485) or made modifications to any orders on the form.
In the US Burden of Disease Report, the leading causes of death were ischemic heart disease, lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Alzheimer disease, and colorectal cancer, while the leading causes of disability were low back pain, major depressive disorder, and diabetes.
Negative affect that lingers is associated with worse physical health outcomes almost 10 years later.
Families making decision not to donate relative's organs experience lower quality communication.
Among the somatic comorbidities evaluated were acne, type 1 diabetes, Down syndrome, hypertension, inflammatory bowel diseases, inflammatory joint diseases, metabolic syndrome, obesity, pilonidal sinus, and thyroid disorders.
Female researchers still face challenges when publishing research.
The Goldwater Rule has proven remarkably resilient and has not been seriously challenged for half a century — until now.
Personal health information and personally identifiable information was found in the recycling of 5 Canadian hospitals.
The incidence and prevalence of psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder are higher in the rheumatoid arthritis population.
Genetic variations associated with empathy play a role in psychiatric conditions.
Gender minority Medicare beneficiaries such as transgender, or gender nonbinary individuals have greater disability and mental health burdens.
"Structural violence" encompasses a number of harmful social policies, specifically denial of healthcare.
Many medical schools provide both paternity and maternity leave in the United States.
Exaggerated treatment efficacy is common in early trials that evaluate drugs or devices to treat chronic medical conditions.
Bipolar disorder (31.9%), depression (19.8%), schizophrenia (14.2%), and anxiety disorders (9.1%) were the most common mental health issues reported. Approximately 13% of evacuees with a mental health concern reported a history of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Individuals under the Affordable Care Act are still experiencing a high burden of premium spending.
Among adults with serious psychological distress, whites and those with private insurance were significantly more likely than blacks to experience certain barriers to utilizing health care.
Transgender and gender nonconforming adolescents used fewer preventive health services and reported poorer health.
Exposure to the humanities is associated with less burnout among medical students.
According to the report, total spending per person is growing at a faster rate than in previous years, with growth of 4.6% in 2016 compared with 4.1% in 2015 and sub-3% growth from 2012 to 2014.
The DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet have been ranked as joint 'Best Overall' diet.
Hospitals that have been under financial incentives for more than a decade vs less than 3 years do not have lower patient mortality rates.
Aetna will gain data on pharmaceutical usage patterns that will enable the company to carefully parse the insurance risks it takes on.
The CDC has been informed of words that are no longer allowed to be used in documents.
The benefits of medical cannabis may be overestimated because of inadequate blinding in trials that were done.
Students at Brown University are partnering with RISD to help repair health system issues.
More than half of the adults in the US said that they would be supportive if they had a teenage child who wanted to transition to the opposite gender.
The FDA wants to make cigarettes less addictive by reducing nicotine levels.
For adults with a serious mental illness, a psychosocial self-management intervention can be adapted for a smartphone app.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows