Generic Name and Formulations:
Nepafenac 0.1%, oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for NEVANAC:
Post-operative pain and inflammation following cataract surgery.
≥10yrs: 1 drop in affected eye(s) 3 times daily starting one day before surgery, continued on day of surgery, and through first 2 weeks post-op.
<10yrs: not recommended.
Bleeding tendencies. May delay wound healing. Complicated/repeat ocular surgeries. Corneal defects/denervation. Ocular surface diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis. Diabetes. Monitor cornea; discontinue if corneal epithelial breakdown occurs. Contact lenses (remove during therapy). Risk of corneal adverse events may be increased if used more than 24 hours before surgery, or beyond 14 days post-op. Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate oral anticoagulants, others that prolong bleeding.
Ocular effects (eg, capsular opacity, decreased visual acuity, foreign body sensation, increased intraocular pressure, sticky sensation, edema, dry eye, lid margin crusting, discomfort, hyperemia, pain, pruritus, photophobia, tearing, vitreous detachment), headache, hypertension, GI upset, sinusitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy