Females are also closing the gender gap with regard to health problems associated with alcohol consumption.
Researchers used MRI to detect variations in neural connections among earthquake survivors.
Elevated cytokine levels could help to identify children who are unlikely to respond to treatment with fluoxetine.
Study results suggest continued study of arbaclofen for autism spectrum disorder.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Even when knowing they were taking a placebo, patients still obtained relief from pain.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Brief mindfulness meditation reduces difference between late positive potential response to negative high arousing, neutral stimuli.
Effective strategies for managing physician burnout include mindfulness and stress-management training, as well as shorter workdays.
Compared with men who never used tobacco, those who used snus but did not smoke had a 24% higher risk of death from prostate cancer.
Both men and women with HIV were more likely to experience comorbid psychiatric conditions than their peers without an HIV diagnosis.
Greater age-related decreases in volume of the putamen were observed in participants diagnosed with major depressive disorder compared with those of healthy controls.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Effects of fetal exposure are yet to be determined.
After 10 years follow-up, researchers found that women who experienced surgical menopause were more likely to suffer worse insomnia symptoms.
Surgery for drug-resistant epilepsy improved psychiatric outcomes and functioning.
It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Patients with a diagnosed psychiatric problem are at increased odds of being in the emergency department for more than 24 hours.
Those admitted to a hospital with a psychiatric diagnosis were 63% likely to die by suicide.
Sleep duration was significantly longer and there was less sleep disruption for pregnant women in the sleep enhancement training group compared with that of women in control groups.
Analysis revealed that the brief OCD screener predicted OCD with an accuracy rate of higher than 90%.
Individuals with bilateral damage to the amygdala can still feel fear.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
Data indicate that 693 genes are differentially expressed between individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia and typical, healthy controls.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress