Researchers used MRI to detect variations in neural connections among earthquake survivors.
Reviewers more likely to recommend acceptance when prestigious names and institutions were visible.
It is not yet clear whether changes in the brain that were observed during one season of competitive youth football are lasting or meaningful.
Embracing all the myriad variations of the human genome should, in theory, lead to rewards that all can share.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
The NIH is awarding more than 100 new grants to over 170 researchers at 60 institutions that will total more than $70 million.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
New findings provide insights about the neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of schizophrenia.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
The associated morbidities and deficits make epilepsy care for adults with intellectual disability complex.
Previous experiments indicated that empathy occurs in social lives of rats, and rodent behavioral models are now used to elucidate the mechanistic substrates of empathy.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main active chemical ingredient found in cannabis and is a potent cannabinoid receptor (CB)-1 agonist.
The HD-associated CAG repeat with 36 or more repeats was found in 18 individuals.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Optogenetic tools enable light-based modulation of genetically defined neurons and temporally precise stimulation of neural circuit activity.
The current findings are in line with previous studies reporting beneficial effects of physical exercise on memory acquisition, consolidation, reconsolidation, and retrieval.
Neurologic symptoms resolved after 1 month of antiviral treatment in 90% of study participants.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice