Researchers used MRI to detect variations in neural connections among earthquake survivors.
Reviewers more likely to recommend acceptance when prestigious names and institutions were visible.
It is not yet clear whether changes in the brain that were observed during one season of competitive youth football are lasting or meaningful.
Embracing all the myriad variations of the human genome should, in theory, lead to rewards that all can share.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
The NIH is awarding more than 100 new grants to over 170 researchers at 60 institutions that will total more than $70 million.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
New findings provide insights about the neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of schizophrenia.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
The associated morbidities and deficits make epilepsy care for adults with intellectual disability complex.
Previous experiments indicated that empathy occurs in social lives of rats, and rodent behavioral models are now used to elucidate the mechanistic substrates of empathy.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main active chemical ingredient found in cannabis and is a potent cannabinoid receptor (CB)-1 agonist.
The HD-associated CAG repeat with 36 or more repeats was found in 18 individuals.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Optogenetic tools enable light-based modulation of genetically defined neurons and temporally precise stimulation of neural circuit activity.
The current findings are in line with previous studies reporting beneficial effects of physical exercise on memory acquisition, consolidation, reconsolidation, and retrieval.
Neurologic symptoms resolved after 1 month of antiviral treatment in 90% of study participants.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Amisulpride May Be Most Effective Antipsychotic for Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia
- Frustrations With Prior Authorization: A Thorn in the Side of Clinicians
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Plasma Autoantibodies Possible Biomarker for Schizophrenia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy Beneficial for Neurocognitive Function in Autism
- The Crisis of Physician Suicides: Past and Present
- Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
- Ketamine: A Promising Agent for Managing Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Patterns of Healthcare Use Before Diagnosis of Psychotic Disorders in Young Adults