The study's lead investigator said prior research shows a high prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in school-age children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
Infants with postnatal etiology showed worse developmental deficits across all domains.
Study results suggest continued study of arbaclofen for autism spectrum disorder.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Progression of infant motor development is associated with cognitive ability in later childhood.
While there is no cure for ADHD, currently available treatments such as medication, psychotherapy, education, or training can help reduce symptoms and improve functioning.
The city's water supply was poisoned with lead as a result of corrosion of leaded pipes.
A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus during pregnancy.
Children with ADHD may adapt more poorly to changing positive reinforcements compared with typically developing children.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Thirty-one percent of respondents believed that Zika is transmitted through coughing and sneezing.
A new study provides some of the strongest evidence to date that mutations to genes that control neurotransmitters can lead to schizophrenia.
People with genetic traits that are linked to autism risk show slightly increased intelligence.
Concussions resulting from contact sports injuries can impact cognition, behavior and mood.
Researchers found a possible link between C-section and increased risk of autism spectrum disorder development in childhood.
Infants as young as six months old who showed early signs of autism saw symptoms disappear after receiving Infant Start therapy.
Developing a drug similar to rapamycin/sirolimus to "prune" the extra synapses could improve autism treatment.
Neurodevelopmental disorders still higher overall in poor families, but recent increases especially pronounced in well-off.
Emotional reactivity, anxiety problems, and pervasive developmental problems increased with each 1-µg/dL increase in blood lead concentrations.
The latest revision of the diagnostic manual does away with the complex multiaxial organization in favor of a simpler chapter order of disorders.
A manufactured compound widely used as flame retardants in the past three decades has been associated with lower IQ and hyperactivity in kids.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- The Current State of Autism: From Etiology to Treatment
- Augmentation Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
- Long-Term Cariprazine Safe, Tolerable for Schizophrenia
- Why Do Antipsychotics Cause Weight Gain?
- Is Aspirin Use Associated With a Decreased Incidence of Depressive Symptoms?
- emPATH Units as a Solution for ED Psychiatric Patient Boarding
- Antidepressants for Poststroke Depression: Comparative Efficacy and Acceptability
- New Model Shows High Accuracy in Predicting Response to Lithium
- Frequent Cannabis Use Associated With Increased Likelihood of MDD
- Protecting the Brain: The Damaging Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder: Intranasal Ketamine Effective, Well-Tolerated
- When Patients Are Pathological Liars: Implications For for Psychiatrists
- PTSD and Fibromyalgia: Can Opioid Combination Therapy Improve QOL?
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Subsequent Suicidal Thoughts
- Cognitive Impairment in Adults With Depression Identified by THINC-it Screening Tool