Antipsychotics have been shown to reduce tic severity, as has behavior therapy. However, the mechanisms behind the efficacy of behavior therapy have yet to be clarified by research.
These findings may raise new hypotheses for understanding the origins of ADHD, gender differences, and future targets in the prevention of ADHD.
There is a link between language delays in girls, and acetaminophen use in pregnancy.
The study's lead investigator said prior research shows a high prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in school-age children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
Infants with postnatal etiology showed worse developmental deficits across all domains.
Study results suggest continued study of arbaclofen for autism spectrum disorder.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Progression of infant motor development is associated with cognitive ability in later childhood.
While there is no cure for ADHD, currently available treatments such as medication, psychotherapy, education, or training can help reduce symptoms and improve functioning.
The city's water supply was poisoned with lead as a result of corrosion of leaded pipes.
A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus during pregnancy.
Children with ADHD may adapt more poorly to changing positive reinforcements compared with typically developing children.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Thirty-one percent of respondents believed that Zika is transmitted through coughing and sneezing.
A new study provides some of the strongest evidence to date that mutations to genes that control neurotransmitters can lead to schizophrenia.
People with genetic traits that are linked to autism risk show slightly increased intelligence.
Concussions resulting from contact sports injuries can impact cognition, behavior and mood.
Researchers found a possible link between C-section and increased risk of autism spectrum disorder development in childhood.
Infants as young as six months old who showed early signs of autism saw symptoms disappear after receiving Infant Start therapy.
Developing a drug similar to rapamycin/sirolimus to "prune" the extra synapses could improve autism treatment.
Neurodevelopmental disorders still higher overall in poor families, but recent increases especially pronounced in well-off.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism