These findings indicate that anxiety may be a risk factor for late-life dementia, excluding anxiety that is related to prodromal cognitive decline.
These results suggest that antipsychotic exposure has no impact on relative mortality.
Concerns over Nuplazid were initially voiced in a CNN article in early April which reported that the drug had been associated with over 700 deaths since its launch in March 2017.
Mild traumatic brain injury is associated with increased risk of Parkinson disease among military veterans.
These data support the importance of TBI preventative measures and proper management strategies for subsequent dementia.
Isolated vomiting (vomiting without other predictors of traumatic brain injury [TBI] as defined by 3 high-quality clinical decision rules) was not associated with clinically important TBI or evidence of TBI on computed tomography scans among pediatric patients with head injury.
These data confirm the debilitating effects of apathy on functioning in patients with Huntington disease.
The authors noted that apathy is very common and progressive among Huntington disease mutation carriers, even during early stages of the disease, and has been associated with decline in general functioning.
Electrical stimulation of the amygdala may boost declarative memory without influencing an emotional response.
Veterans diagnosed with TBI don't use opioids very often.
Primary hyperparathyroidism may be linked to lower intracerebral vasomotor reactivity, which could lead to cognitive dysfunction.
Compared with male athletes, female athletes face a greater incidence of and longer recovery time from concussion.
Functional MRI imaging found that in patients with non-neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus, defects in spatial working memory and cognitive dysfunction were related to damage in specific neural networks.
Patients in the visual arm of the study wore flashing LED goggles delivering visual stimulation in the alpha-band range.
Evidence indicates that distraction can provide pain relief, highlighting the influence cognitive processes have on pain perception.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
Regular late-life volunteering is independently tied to decreased risk of cognitive impairment.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognition.
Researchers conducted an fMRI study of decision-making under conditions of risk and ambiguity in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Serum ghrelin levels may serve as a biomarker of executive function in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sundowning is a complex multifactorial condition that has eluded rigorous understanding of its pathophysiological causes.
Dr. Roger McIntyre suggests that the clinical relevance of cognitive dysfunction for any individual patient can only be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
Dysfunction across several cognitive domains is often concomitant with depression.
Most aging humans will develop some degree of decline in cognitive capacity.
Poor psychosocial functioning among individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia is associated with deficits in social cognition.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
Investigators used fMRI to examine whether disruption of long-term fear memory reconsolidation can attenuate the activity in the amygdala at re-exposure to fear cues.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism