A recently published study reports that women who develop high blood pressure in their 40s could be at a higher risk for developing dementia later in life.
A new analytic model can now predict cognitive decline within 10 years of onset PD.
For individuals with dementia, lifetime care costs are increased.
New data were presented at the IAS Conference, pertaining to predictive factors and cognitive screening for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders.
Neural changes can lead to potential financial exploitation in older adults.
This study suggests a link between high reward receptor responses in the striatal cortex and expression of pain complaints 2 years later.
Head impacts in soccer are independently associated with moderate to very severe central nervous system (CNS) symptoms.
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
Better management of cardiovascular risk factors and higher levels of education may have contributed to this improvement.
Research on monogenic disorders has made vital contributions to all aspects of medical care, including our understanding of pain pathophysiology.
The recovery time varies depending on which class of medication the patient is overusing.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
The Effect of Cognitive Remediation Training on Functional Connectivity and Social Cognition in SchizophreniaOctober 13, 2016
Study provides further evidence for the effects of cognitive enhancement intervention on brain functional connectivity and cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
Individuals suffering from depression, as well as persons diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy, present with dysfunction across several cognitive domains.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Serum ghrelin levels may serve as a biomarker of executive function in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sundowning is a complex multifactorial condition that has eluded rigorous understanding of its pathophysiological causes.
Dr. Roger McIntyre suggests that the clinical relevance of cognitive dysfunction for any individual patient can only be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
Most aging humans will develop some degree of decline in cognitive capacity.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
Distinguishing between psychiatric disorders and AD is crucial because of the differing prognosis and management of the two.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
Post mortem examination of human brain samples derived from individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia revealed widespread synaptic alterations in CA1 hippocampal subfield.
The associated morbidities and deficits make epilepsy care for adults with intellectual disability complex.
If transmission of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia of any type, AD, or PD does occur, it is rare.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records