Obesity and associated comorbidities are seen to be potential contributers to Alzheimer disease pathophysiology.
Investigators sought to determine the association between antiretroviral therapy and cytomegalovirus infection in individuals with HIV, as well as the potential impact of both on neurocognitive performance.
126 to 140 mmol/L was linked to increased odds of prevalent cognitive impairment and decline in older men.
Patients randomly assigned to the intervention experienced a statistically significant improvement in quality of life, agitation, and overall neuropsychiatric symptoms.
Cognitive rehabilitation may be an effective therapy for Parkinson-associated dementias.
The AAN has issued new recommended guidelines for treating mild cognitive impairment.
Higher BMI was linked to an increased risk of dementia when weight was measured 20 years before dementia diagnosis.
HIV-positive patients with higher alcohol consumption levels did worse on several neurocognitive tests, however alcohol was not the primary factor.
Findings suggest that children with BECTS is predictive of neuropsychological outcomes, not age of first seizure.
In order to maximize cognitive benefits in patients with epilepsy, early consideration of and evaluation for epilepsy surgery is key.
Sodium oxybate seems to be well tolerated in patients with Parkinson's disease and excessive daytime sleepiness.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- First Nonopioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents, Young Adults With ADHD
- Worse Cognitive Outcomes Associated With CMV Antibodies Following ART for HIV