Generic Name and Formulations:
Oprelvekin 5mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for NEUMEGA:
Prevention of severe thrombocytopenia. To reduce platelet transfusions following myelosuppressive chemotherapy in adults with non-myeloid malignancies who are at high risk of severe thrombocytopenia.
Initiate 6–24hrs after chemotherapy completion. Give by SC inj into abdomen, thigh, or hip; also upper arm if not self-injecting. 50micrograms/kg once daily until post-nadir platelet count is ≥50,000/microliter; max 21 days. Discontinue ≥2days prior to next chemotherapy cycle. Severe renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: 25micrograms/kg. May give for ≤6 cycles following chemotherapy.
Not for use after myeloablative chemotherapy. Monitor fluid balance and electrolytes; increased risk of serious fluid retention with CHF, renal impairment, chronic diuretic or aggressive hydration therapy. Consider draining pre-existing fluid collections (eg, pericardial effusion, ascites). Obtain CBCs before and during therapy; monitor platelet counts. Pre-existing papilledema or tumors involving the CNS. History of stroke, transient ischemic attack, or atrial arrhythmias. Effectiveness unknown with chemotherapy regimens >5 days duration or with regimens associated with delayed myelosuppression (eg. nitrosoureas, mitomycin-C). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Thrombopoietic growth factor (Interleukin-11).
Edema, dyspnea, tachycardia, conjunctival injection, palpitations, atrial arrhythmias, pleural effusions, neutropenic fever, syncope, atrial fibrillation, fever, pneumonia, CHF, pulmonary edema, dilutional anemia, blurred vision, paresthesia, dehydration, skin discoloration, exfoliative dermatitis, eye hemorrhage, stroke, papilledema, hypersensitivity reactions (permanently discontinue if occur).
Single-use vials—7 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease