Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegfilgrastim (polyethylene glycol/filgrastim conjugate) 6mg/0.6mL; soln for SC inj; preservative-free.
Indications for NEULASTA:
To decrease the incidence of infection, as manifested by febrile neutropenia, in patients with non-myeloid malignancies receiving myelosuppressive anticancer drugs associated with clinically significant incidence of febrile neutropenia. To increase survival in patients acutely exposed to myelosuppressive doses of radiation.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. ≥45kg: Chemotherapy-induced neutropenia: Do not give between 14 days before and 24 hours after chemotherapy. 6mg SC once per chemotherapy cycle. Acute radiation syndrome: 2 doses, each of 6mg SC; give 1st dose as soon as possible after exposure to radiation levels >2 gray (Gy), then a 2nd dose one week later. Pediatrics weighing 31–44kg: 4mg; 21–30kg: 2.5mg; 10–20kg: 1.5mg; <10kg: 0.1mg/kg. Direct administration of prefilled syringe with doses <6mg is not recommended.
Monitor CBC and platelets before and during therapy. Monitor for splenomegaly, splenic rupture, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS); evaluate if fever, lung infiltrates, or respiratory distress occurs; discontinue if ARDS diagnosed. Monitor for glomerulonephritis; consider dose reduction or interruption if treatment-related. Permanently discontinue if serious allergic reactions develop. Sickle cell disease: may cause severe sickle cell crises. Myeloid malignancies. Myelodysplasia. Acrylic adhesive allergy (On-body injector). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May cause transient (+) changes in bone-imaging test results.
Granulocyte colony stimulating factor.
Bone or extremity pain; anaphylaxis, ARDS, splenic rupture, glomerulonephritis, leukocytosis, capillary leak syndrome (monitor closely if occurs).
Prefilled syringe—1; Onpro Kit—1 (prefilled syringe + On-body injector)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder