Generic Name and Formulations:
Alogliptin 6.25mg, 12.5mg, 25mg; tabs.
Indications for NESINA:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes, as monotherapy or combination therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
25mg once daily. Renal impairment: moderate (CrCl ≥30–<60mL/min): 12.5mg once daily; severe (CrCl ≥15–<30mL/min) or ESRD (CrCl <15mL/min or need hemodialysis): 6.25mg once daily.
Assess renal function prior to therapy and periodically thereafter. Monitor for signs/symptoms of pancreatitis, serious hypersensitivity reactions, or severe joint pain; discontinue if suspected or occurs. Consider risks/benefits in patients with known risk factors for heart failure; monitor for signs/symptoms; evaluate and consider discontinuing if develops. History of angioedema to other DPP-4 inhibitors. Hepatic impairment. Obtain LFTs before starting therapy; interrupt and evaluate if liver enzymes elevated or abnormal tests persist; do not restart if liver injury is confirmed and no other etiology can be found. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May need lower dose of concomitant sulfonylurea or insulin to reduce risk of hypoglycemia.
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor.
Nasopharyngitis, headache, upper respiratory tract infection; pancreatitis, heart failure, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, anaphylaxis, angioedema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome), hepatic failure (may be fatal), severe and disabling arthralgia, bullous pemphigoid.
6.25mg—30, 90; 12.5mg, 25mg—30, 90, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments