Generic Name and Formulations:
Alogliptin 6.25mg, 12.5mg, 25mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Indications for NESINA:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes, as monotherapy or combination therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
25mg once daily. Renal impairment: moderate (CrCl ≥30–<60mL/min): 12.5mg once daily; severe (CrCl ≥15–<30mL/min) or ESRD (CrCl <15mL/min or need hemodialysis): 6.25mg once daily.
Assess renal function prior to therapy and periodically thereafter. Monitor for signs/symptoms of pancreatitis, serious hypersensitivity reactions, or severe joint pain; discontinue if suspected or occurs. Consider risks/benefits in patients with known risk factors for heart failure; monitor for signs/symptoms; evaluate and consider discontinuing if develops. History of angioedema to other DPP-4 inhibitors. Hepatic impairment. Obtain LFTs before starting therapy; interrupt and evaluate if liver enzymes elevated or abnormal tests persist; do not restart if liver injury is confirmed and no other etiology can be found. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor.
May need lower dose of concomitant sulfonylurea or insulin to reduce risk of hypoglycemia.
Nasopharyngitis, headache, upper respiratory tract infection; pancreatitis, heart failure, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, anaphylaxis, angioedema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome), hepatic failure (may be fatal), severe and disabling arthralgia, bullous pemphigoid.
6.25mg—30, 90; 12.5mg, 25mg—30, 90, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age