Generic Name and Formulations:
Methazolamide 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methazolamide:
Ocular conditions where lowering intraocular pressure would be of therapeutic benefit (eg, chronic open-angle glaucoma, secondary glaucoma, pre-op in acute angle-closure glaucoma).
50–100mg 2–3 times daily.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Long-term use in angle-closure glaucoma.
Sulfonamide allergy. Respiratory impairment (eg, pulmonary obstruction or emphysema). Do baseline CBC and platelet counts before starting and during therapy. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. Caution with high-dose aspirin; may increase salicylate toxicity. Caution with corticosteroids; may develop hypokalemia.
Paresthesias, tinnitus, fatigue, malaise, anorexia, GI upset, dysguesia, drowsiness, confusion, metabolic acidosis, electrolyte imbalance, transient myopia; hepatic insufficiency, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, urticaria, melena, hematuria, glycosuria, flaccid paralysis, photosensitivity, convulsions; rare: crystalluria, renal calculi.
Formerly known under the brand name Neptazane.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age