Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentobarbital sodium 50mg/mL; soln for IM or IV inj; contains alcohol.
Indications for NEMBUTAL:
Short-term (≤ 2 weeks) treatment of insomnia when oral route is not feasible.
IM: 150mg–200mg (max 5mL/inj) as a single deep IM inj. IV: Inject slowly (max 50mg/min). ≥70kg: initially 100mg; observe and monitor vital signs at least 1 minute, then may increase as needed in small increments to usual max 500mg. Elderly, debilitated, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose.
IM: 2–6mg/kg as a single deep IM inj; max 100mg. IV: inject slowly; reduce adult dose proportionally (see literature).
Prehepatic coma: not recommended. Avoid abrupt cessation. Acute or chronic pain. Depression. Suicidal tendencies. Drug abuser. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor BP, respiration, cardiac function. Avoid extravasation. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by MAOIs, valproic acid, sodium valproate (monitor). CNS depression potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other steroid hormones (eg, oral contraceptives), doxycycline. May interfere with griseofulvin absorption. Variable effects with phenytoin (monitor).
Somnolence, respiratory depression, CNS effects, bradycardia, hypotension, syncope, GI upset, headache, inj site reactions, paradoxical excitement.
Multi-dose vials (20mL, 50mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?