Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for inhalation after reconstitution. To be used with the Respirgard II nebulizer.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NEBUPENT:
For prevention of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PJP) in high-risk, HIV-infected patients defined by one or both of the following criteria: 1) a history of one or more episodes of PJP; 2) a peripheral CD4+ lymphocyte count ≤200/mm3.
>16yrs: 300mg once every 4 weeks administered via the Respirgard II nebulizer. Dose should be delivered until nebulizer chamber is empty (approx. 30–45 minutes).
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Exclude the presence of PJP before starting prophylaxis therapy. History of smoking or asthma. May induce bronchospasm/cough; administer inhaled bronchodilator prior to giving NebuPent dose; do not use Respirgard II nebulizer to administer a bronchodilator. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not mix with other drugs. Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Night sweats, GI upset, anemia, bronchitis, herpes, herpes zoster, flu, oral Candida, pharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infections, headache, chest pain, cough, wheezing, bad taste; monitor closely for serious adverse reactions: hypotension, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypocalcemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hepatic/renal dysfunction, ventricular tachycardia, pancreatitis (discontinue if occurs), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hyperkalemia, abnormal ST segment; rare: extrapulmonary pneumocystosis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease