Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate (as furoate monohydrate) 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for NASONEX:
Treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥2yrs of age. Prophylaxis of seasonal allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥12yrs of age. Nasal polyps.
Allergic rhinitis: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily; prophylaxis: begin 2–4 weeks prior to anticipated start of pollen season. Nasal polyps: ≥18yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril 1–2 times daily.
Allergic rhinitis: <2yrs: not established. 2–11yrs: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Nasal polyps: <18yrs: not established.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Glaucoma and/or cataracts. Discontinue if nasopharyngeal candida infection occurs. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution when concomitant ketoconazole (long-term) and other strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, cobicistat-containing products, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, saquinavir, telithromycin); monitor.
Headache, viral infection, pharyngitis, epistaxis, cough, upper respiratory tract infections, pain, sinusitis, reduced growth velocity in children; rare: nasal ulcers.
Spray—17g (120 sprays)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age