Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate (as furoate monohydrate) 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for NASONEX:
Treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥2yrs of age. Prophylaxis of seasonal allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥12yrs of age. Nasal polyps.
Allergic rhinitis: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily; prophylaxis: begin 2–4 weeks prior to anticipated start of pollen season. Nasal polyps: ≥18yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril 1–2 times daily.
Allergic rhinitis: <2yrs: not recommended. 2–11yrs: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Nasal polyps: <18yrs: not recommended.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Monitor if vision changes or if history of glaucoma or cataracts. Discontinue if nasopharyngeal candida infection occurs. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, viral infection, pharyngitis, epistaxis, cough, upper respiratory tract infections, pain, sinusitis, reduced growth velocity in children; rare: nasal ulcers.
Spray—17g (120 sprays)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records