Generic Name and Formulations:
Ropivacaine HCl 2mg/mL, 5mg/mL, 7.5mg/mL, 10mg/mL; soln for epidural inj; preservative-free.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NAROPIN:
For the production of local or regional anesthesia for surgery (epidural block including cesarean section, major nerve block, local infiltration) and for acute pain management (epidural continuous infusion or intermittent bolus, eg, postop or labor; local infiltration).
See literature. Avoid intravascular or rapid inj of large volumes. Use test dose (3–5mL of short acting local anesthetic soln containing epinephrine) prior to induction of complete block. Individualize. A cumulative dose of up to 770mg administered over 24 hours is well tolerated in adults with post-op pain management. Debilitated: caution with prolonged periods of administration (eg, >70hrs).
Should only be administered by trained medical professionals; have resuscitative equipment available. Unintended IV inj may result in cardiac arrest (esp. in elderly and patients with concomitant heart disease); prolonged resuscitative efforts may be required. Not for emergency situations. Have protocol for malignant hyperthermia management available. Impaired cardiovascular function. Hypotension. Hypovolemia. Heart block. Hepatic disease. Renal impairment. Labor & delivery; monitor fetal heart rate. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Additive toxic effects with other local anesthetics. Additive cardiac effects possible with concomitant Class III antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone); consider ECG monitoring. May be potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, fluvoxamine, theophylline, imipramine) and potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Local anesthetic (amide-type).
Hypotension, GI upset, bradycardia, fever, pain, postop complications, anemia, paresthesia, headache, pruritus, back pain.
Polyamp DuoFit Sterile Pak—5; Single-dose vials (5mg/mL)—1, 5; Single-dose infusion bottles (2mg/mL)—1 (100mL, 200mL)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress