Naphazoline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naphazoline HCl 1mg (0.1%); oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Naphazoline HCl:
For use as a topical ocular vasoconstrictor.
Adults and Children:
Instill 1 or 2 drops in the conjunctival sac(s) every 3–4hrs as needed.
Anatomically narrow angle or in narrow-angle glaucoma.
Hypertension. Cardiovascular abnormalities. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Infection. Injury. Children (esp. infants): may result in CNS depression leading to coma and marked reduction in body temperature. Discontinue if no relief obtained within 48hrs of therapy, if irritation, blurring or redness persists or increases, or if symptoms of systemic absorption occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant maprotiline or tricyclic antidepressants may potentiate pressor effect. Severe hypertensive crisis possible with concomitant MAOIs.
Sympathomimetic (imidazoline derivative).
Ocular (eg, mydriasis, increased redness, irritation, discomfort, blurring, punctate keratitis, lacrimation, increased intraocular pressure); systemic (eg, dizziness, headache, nausea, sweating, nervousness, drowsiness, weakness, hypertension, cardiac irregularities, hyperglycemia).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder