Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl extended-release, donepezil HCl; 7mg/10mg, 14mg/10mg, 21mg/10mg, 28mg/10mg; caps.
Indications for NAMZARIC:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type in patients stabilized on 10mg of donepezil HCl once daily.
Swallow whole or may open caps and sprinkle on applesauce, then consume entire contents; do not divide doses. Patients stabilized on donepezil HCl 10mg: initially 7mg/10mg once daily in the PM; increase at minimum weekly intervals in 7mg increments of memantine HCl to max maintenance dose of 28mg/10mg once daily; severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): initially 7mg/10mg once daily in the PM; increase to maintenance dose of 14mg/10mg once daily after one week. Patients stabilized on both components: 28mg/10mg once daily in the PM. Start the day after last dose of memantine HCl and donepezil HCl given separately. Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): 14mg/10mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction abnormalities. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. GU obstruction. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine levels. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). Memantine plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers. Donepezil potentiated by CYP3A4 (eg, ketoconazole) and CYP2D6 (eg, quinidine) inhibitors. CYP3A4 inducers (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, rifampin, phenobarbital) may increase the rate of elimination of donepezil. Antagonizes anticholinergics. Additive effects with succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants (during anesthesia), other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
NMDA receptor antagonist + acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, anorexia, vomiting, nausea, ecchymosis.
Caps 7mg/10mg, 21mg/10mg—30; 14mg/10mg, 28mg/10mg—30, 90
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV