Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Indications for NAMENDA:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Initially 5mg once daily; titrate at intervals of at least 1 week to 5mg twice daily, then to 5mg and 10mg as separate doses, then to 10mg twice daily (prescribe Titration Pak for 1st 4 weeks). Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): titrate to max 5mg twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine serum levels. Seizure disorder. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
NMDA receptor antagonist.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). May affect or be affected by renally-excreted drugs (eg, triamterene, HCTZ, metformin, cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine). Plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, diarrhea, constipation, hypertension, pain, somnolence, hallucination, urinary disorders, dyspnea.
Tabs (YES); Oral soln, XR caps (NO)
Tabs—60; Titration Pak (28 x 5mg + 21 x 10mg)—1; Oral soln—360mL; XR caps 7mg, 21mg—30; 14mg, 28mg—30, 90; XR Titration Pak (7 x 7mg + 7 x 14mg + 7 x 21mg + 7 x 28mg)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age