Naloxone HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone 0.4mg/mL, 1mg/mL; IV, IM or SC inj; amps (paraben-free); vials.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Naloxone HCl:
Reversal of opioid depression, including respiratory. Diagnosis of acute opioid overdose.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.1–0.2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.4–2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins; if no response after 10mg reevaluate. Both may require repeated doses depending on duration of narcotic activity.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.005–0.01mg/kg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.01mg/kg initially; if inadequate response give 0.1mg/kg body weight. Neonates, post-op: 0.01mg/kg, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response.
Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disease. Have other resuscitative measures available. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of buprenorphine or pentazocine; may require higher naloxone dose.
Reversal of opioid depression: nausea, vomiting, sweating, tachycardia, increase BP, tremulousness, seizures, ventricular tacychardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, cardiac arrest. Also, excessive naloxone doses in post-op: reversal of analgesia, agitation.
Formerly known under the brand name Narcan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses