Nafcillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nafcillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for deep IM inj after reconstitution, IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nafcillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj or IV infusion over 30–60mins. IM: 500mg every 4–6hrs. IV: 500mg every 4hrs. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4hrs; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48hrs after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see full labeling. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj only. Neonates: 10mg/kg twice daily. Infants and children (<40kg): 25mg/kg twice daily.
Cephalosporin allergy: not recommended. History of significant allergies. Asthma. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or if CDAD is suspected or confirmed. Obtain CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine, LFTs at baseline and periodically during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Renal and hepatic impairment. Elderly (esp. IV route). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Concomitant warfarin: monitor; adjust dose as needed. May antagonize cyclosporine; monitor. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) protein urine test with sulfosalicyclic acid.
Inj site reactions, thrombophlebitis, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, neurotoxicity, renal toxicity, elevated LFTs, blood dyscrasias; hypersensitivity reactions, CDAD, pseudomembranous colitis.
Formerly known under the brand names Nallpen, Unipen.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age